The city of San Francisco, California is a member of the Sweatfree Purchasing Consortium. San Francisco has a sweatfree procurement policy that applies to purchases of apparel, textiles, and related accessories. This policy requires public purchasers to include human rights related evaluation criteria (disclosure of supply chain information and responses to a questionnaire) when selecting a contractor for covered purchases. The Sweatfree Advisory Group is tasked with evaluating the implementation, administration, and enforcement of the policy. San Francisco also contracted with the Worker Rights Consortium to provide factory level investigations. Documents related to San Francisco’s incorporation of human rights considerations in apparel procurement are provided below.
Relevant documents and resources are available below
- Sweatfree Contracting Ordinance, Administrative Code Chapter 12U, available here.
- San Francisco’s Sweatfree Advisory Group Annual Report – 2013, available here.
- San Francisco’s Sweatfree Advisory Group Annual Report – 2011, available here.
- San Francisco’s Sweatfree Advisory Group Annual Report – 20008, available here.
- Additional information and resources are available on the website of the San Francisco Office of Labor Standards Enforcement